Friday, August 1, 2008

The Proposal

On the morning of Tuesday, April 29, 2008, Michael proposed to me. I was getting ready for work, in the bathroom, putting on my make-up. He simply walked into the room and asked me to marry him. I said "yes," and he gave me the ring. It was wonderful.

Ahhh.. the ring.
Some history:

My Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother's Tombstone in Fulton, NY

The original ring was given to us by my Mother and Aunt. It was my Great Grandmother Margaret Hartnett's Anniversary ring. It contained an Old European cut diamond and was set in a simple 14 Kt. gold band. We decided to have it re-set into a new setting.

The original ring from my Family

I saved the photo below from a Catskill Mountain Region Guide from 2004. The top ring in the photo was my inspiration. We choose Hummingbird Jewelers in Rhinebeck, NY to make the ring because that was the jeweler who featured these rings.

The inspiration for my Engagement Ring (top ring), photograph by Hummingbird Jewelers


The new custom made ring is 18 Kt. white gold, centering the round Old European cut diamond weighing 1.72 ct., I color, VVS1 clarity, set in a 4-prong fishtail setting with channel set diamonds, G color, VS1-VS2 clarity, .30 ct. total weight, and sapphires, total weight .50 cts., alternating 2x2 with a double milgrained edge and hand engraved sides.

Ta-da!

1 comment: