Monday, August 4, 2008

Dress Shopping

Yesterday I went wedding dress shopping for the first time. I was terrified. I thought I was going to feel unnatural and out-of-place. I was also afraid I wouldn't like any of the dresses. Boy, were my fears silly. I had a blast! I liked several dresses and loved one in particular. My future sister-in-law, Loren, was nice enough to accompany me and act as my advisor, photographer, and friend (Thanks Loren!).

We began our journey by fueling our bodies with lunch at the Wolf Road Diner. Then we went to David's Bridal in Albany for my 12:00 PM appointment. "Becca" was my "wedding services coordinator". She was very good. Loren and I picked out six dresses and the journey began. First, David's outfits you in a tummy-covering bra (that they of course want you to buy). Then I began trying on the dresses one by one. With no mirrors in the actual dressing room, you're forced to come out, stand on a little stage and display yourself for all to see. That's okay though. There are plenty of mirrors and people's faces to tell you how you really look. David's also outfits you in the appropriate slip. Then they put a veil, shoes, and jewelry on you. It's so cool to see how you might actually look on your wedding day (minus that special hair-do and make-up).

There was one dress that I loved! I had noticed it months ago in the catalogue. There are a couple of options for customizing/personalizing it for myself. I suppose I can't tell you much more or else it could ruin the surprise. They let me prance around in it for about an hour while trying on the different options and accessories and such.

After David's, we headed up the Northway to Saratoga Springs. We went to Danielle's Bridal Boutique. Their selection was not as vast but I still tried on several more dresses. There were a couple nice ones that I took note of. My skin was itchy and I was hot and tired by afternoon's end. I have a dozen or so great photographs to refer back to and lots to think about.

After a junk-food stop at the gas station, I dropped Loren off with her family and headed south to go home. I was so beat when I got home that I had to take a nap before dinner. Needless to say I was up late last night busily working around the house. My wedding dress journey is far from over. I must continue to see what's out there and weigh all my options. Where should I look next?

No comments: