Thursday, April 2, 2009

Dinnerware Comparison

My latest Internet obsession distraction is dinnerware. I plan on registering... somewhere. My Fiancé doesn't share my advocacy of registries. He has warily given me sole decision-making authority in our registry since he wants to remain in opposition to its existence. I've begun browsing dinnerware online. I figure I'll start with dinnerware and choose a place to register based on that decision. I've looked at the the following websites: Crate & Barrel, Macy's, Sears, Kohl's, Pottery Barn, Pier 1 Imports, Target, Boscov's, JCPenney, West Elm, Walmart, and Bed Bath & Beyond. Have I missed anyplace that I should consider?

There are two dinnerware 'themes' I've been drawn to so far: a natural tree/branch design and a sort of damask design. I've found a high end and low end version of each. Check it out:

The set on the left is Porcel's Tree Porcelain Dinnerware 5 Piece Place Setting costing $95. The set on the right is Target's Autumn Branch 16 Piece Dinnerware Set for $54. BIG price difference.
Here's another:


The set on the left is Target's Medallion 16 Piece Dinnerware Set for $45. The set on the right is Lenox's Batik 4 Piece Dinnerware Set costing $100. Again, BIG price difference. I understand that the materials and quality make all the difference, but still...

There is a 12 place set of family china that my Mother and Aunt split but are considering passing down to me. It is Syracuse China's "Beverly":
So, the other dinnerware I'm going to register for would essentially be for everyday use. How many casual place settings should one register for?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Target's Autumn Branch is my vote. I love the pattern and color. Considering the size of our family and the amount of friends you need at least 12 settings.The salad/sandwich plates are good for kids and people like me, so that gives you extra settings.
P.S. if you don't choose it Mother's Day is coming.Forest green.

Martha said...

Excellent post.!! I love to search for latest designed dinnerware on internet. One of my favorite store is Lenox